Black Forest Cherry Cake


This is an authentic Black Forest Cherry Cake, like they make in Germany. The recipe is here: (Schwarzwald Kirsch Kuchen). This was a special treat for a friend who finished nursing school. 

What I want to highlight here is the technique for the cream frosting. From the recipe:

2 cups heavy whipping cream
1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
1⁄8 cup kirsch
2 tablespoons dry milk
2 tablespoons icing sugar

I left out the kirsch, and I didn't substitute cherry juice in its place like I did for the cake because I didn't want the frosting to be pink. I was dubious about the milk powder, but between that and the powdered sugar, it made a very nicely-textured frosting, and the taste was fine. There was a little bit of cake left from yesterday and the cream has held its shape nicely for a day.

Comments