Hazelnut Cream (Nutella) Frosting

Every year I do a different chocolate cake for my husband's birthday. This year I used some fancy lacework piping for decoration and filled the cake with layers of Hazelnut Cream (Nutella) Frosting. The frosting recipe is very easy. The lacework decoration is not.

Hazelnut Cream (Nutella) Frosting
Cream together:
1 cup unsalted butter
13 oz. jar of Nutella (or about 1-1/2 cups)
Add:
1 tsp. vanilla
1-1/2 lbs. powdered sugar
Add in 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup milk or cream until you reach the desired spreading consistency.


I used a basic chocolate cake recipe and spread this frosting between the layers (two 9-inch layers split to make four layers). Then I frosted the outside of the cake. I put the cake in the refrigerator to set the frosting and when the cake was cold, I covered the cake with a chocolate ganache. After the ganache set, I did the sotas lacework piping with a basic vanilla buttercream frosting. I used a small tip and a soft frosting, but it still made my hands hurt. I spread the cake making and decorating over three days so it was manageable.

Comments