Pizza Sauce

This simple marinara is very easy to make, but it tastes delicious. No more spaghetti sauce from a jar for me! It only takes about two minutes to dump everything in a pan. Even though it is billed as pizza sauce, it also works for spaghetti or pasta, lasagna, or any other recipe that would use a jar of spaghetti sauce.

Pizza Sauce
1 (28-oz) can crushed tomatoes
2 (8-oz) cans tomato sauce
1 (6-oz) can tomato paste
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tb. sugar
2 Tb. vinegar
2 tsp. dried oregano
1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
Combine all the ingredients in a saucepan. Simmer over low heat for at least 30 minutes for the best flavor, stirring occasionally.

Melinda's Notes: I like using fire-roasted tomatoes for the crushed tomatoes, since they have that extra boost of flavor. I have also substituted 1 Tb. of pizza spice blend for the oregano when I want a spicier flavor.

I usually follow the recipe exactly, but I have also customized it, and it turns out well either way. I really like the texture and flavor of the sauce.

Comments