Hamburger Buns #2

The bread recipe I use most is a simple combination of ingredients.  It's mixed in my large bread maker and I pull out the dough and shape it for pizza dough, bread sticks, or French Bread.  It makes a nice crusty loaf.

However, the other day I wanted a tender roll for barbequed chicken sandwiches. The hamburger bun recipe in the family cookbook was the perfect solution.  Becky posted it earlier here.  This time around I did the "alternative recipe" listed on that first post. 
Hamburger Buns #2
1¾ cup water
½ cup oil
¼ c.+2 Tb. sugar

3 Tb. yeast
1½ tsp.salt
2 eggs
5 cups bread flour (can use 1 cup whole wheat flour)


Add the water and oil to a large mixing bowl.  Add 3 cups of the flour and mix.  Then add the sugar, yeast, salt, and eggs.  Stir to combine.  Beat for 2 minutes. Beat in remaining flour and knead until smooth and elastic. Cover and rise to double in bulk.

Punch down and form 2-inch balls. Place on greased cookie sheets. Press flat with hand. Let rise almost double (30 minutes). You can brush the tops with 1 egg and 1 tsp. water (or egg yolk and milk) combined to make a wash. Sprinkle with sesame, celery, caraway, poppy seeds, or dried onion flakes. Bake 10 minutes at 400°. Cool about 2 minutes and remove them to a wire rack. Can freeze finished buns.

Tiffany's Notes: One batch made 16 good-sized buns.  I did substitute 1 cup of wheat flour for part of the white.  I mixed the dough in my large capacity bread machine and that simplified the preparation.  However, I let it raise a bit too long and it tried its best to fill the entire machine.  :)  So, it would be best to let this raise in a bowl on the counter.

The dough was lovely--so soft and smooth.  Make sure to keep it light by not adding too much flour.  I turned the dough out onto a floured counter and gently kneaded it a couple of times.  Then, I divided and shaped the dough--using more flour as needed.  I didn't have problems with it being too sticky. 

Comments