Overnight Steel Cut Oats

From cousin Emily today:  This is our favorite way to prepare oatmeal.  Rolled oats are not my favorite (they actually make me gag) but steel-cut oats are out of this world.
This recipe is a great one to prepare ahead of time, maybe even double the batch, because it reheats so well.  We will have it for breakfast for several days after making it.

I like to toast my steel-cut oats before soaking overnight.  I think it gives the oatmeal a richer flavor, but the oatmeal is delicious either way.

I have purchased steel-cut oats at Costco, or in bulk at Whole Foods. I have seen it in bulk at Smith's (Fry's).

I also purchase my dried currants at Whole Foods.  I really like them better than raisins because they are smaller and have a milder flavor.  And they remind me of Grandma Beverly Wessman who had a currant bush in her yard.

Overnight Steel Cut Oatmeal
1 cup steel-cut oats
1 TBS butter (optional)
2 cups milk (can do 1 1/2 cups milk and 1/2 cup buttermilk)
2 cups water
pinch kosher salt
1 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup dried currants or raisins (optional)
3 TBS packed dark brown sugar

Optional step (a must in our home): In a medium heavy-bottomed saucepan, melt the butter and add the oats. Stir for 2 minutes to toast.  They will give off a mild butterscotch/toast aroma. Remove from heat and proceed with the below steps.

In a medium heavy-bottomed saucepan, add oats, milk and water.  Cover and let soak in the refrigerator overnight.

In the morning, remove from refrigerator and add salt. Bring to almost boil over medium-high heat.  As soon as it starts to bubble, turn down and gently simmer, stirring frequently, uncovered about 10 minutes or until the oats soften. Stir in vanilla, currants and brown sugar. Simmer for 5 more minutes, stirring frequently, and remove from heat. The oatmeal may look a bit "soupy", but it will thicken as it cools. Serve with toppings of your choice.

Some toppings:
fresh or frozen fruit, cinnamon, honey, sugar, maple syrup, milk, buttermilk, yogurt or cream

Comments

  1. Mmm. It seems to me that I can feel its smelling and I guess it's great! Here is an idea in return:
    choco cheese-cake

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks great! I'll have to try this method!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been making this recipe since I originally found it years ago here on this page. I now make it in the morning in my Instant Pot but just the way it's listed. My girlfriend wanted to have this but she doesn't have an Instant Pot so I'm glad I could find this AGAIN after all these years (it's 2020). We love this and make it all the time!! Thank you! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment