Grammy Jenna's Cheese Ball

Grammy Jenna's Cheese Ball




2 8-oz. packages cream cheese
2 Tbsp. pimiento cheese spread
1 Tbsp. Miracle Whip
1 Tbsp. Accent
3/4 tsp. dry mustard
1/4 cup finely diced green pepper
2 Tbsp. finely diced green onion

Blend thoroughly. Form into a ball. To do this, line a small bowl with plastic wrap and put the spread in the bowl. Pull up the plastic wrap to form a ball. Refrigerate 4 hours or overnight. Take it out of the plastic and roll in sliced almonds or chopped pecans.

Notes from Marcelaine: This is called Grammy Jenna's Cheese Ball because it's one of the two cheese ball recipes my grandmother would make during the holidays. My mom has continued the tradition, and now I do too. This is my favorite cheese ball recipe. Use it as a cracker dip.


Some notes about the ingredients:  

  • Pimiento cheese spread can be hard to find in the store. I accidentally found it this year by the rest of the cheese and it was over $3.00 for maybe a cup of spread, so I didn't buy it. I have never put it in the cheese ball and it turns out just fine. My grammy used to buy those cheese spreads for special occasions and we would put them on celery, so that's a special memory. She saved the jars to use as small glasses. They looked pretty!
  • Accent is by the spices. Full disclosure: it is pure MSG. I do think it enhances the flavor, but if you object to that then you can try substituting some salt or just going without.
  • The nuts are the best part! Usually I just put the cheese ball in a bowl instead of shaping it and I sprinkle nuts on top whenever they've been scooped away.

Comments

  1. Thanks for the recipe! Our Granny would also make cheese spread filled celery. :) She always had a pretty relish (vegetable) tray for holiday dinners.

    I remember using the same (cheese spread) glasses at my grandma's home as well! It's likely that all of our grandmas saved the same little jars. :) What a fun memory.

    I've found a good substitute for the little jars of cheese spread is the flavored cream cheese. We used "garden vegetable" kind this year for our own filled celery. (It's also a good cracker spread.)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment