Chicken Pot Pie--Creamy

It's November!  It's time to begin the countdown to Thanksgiving...  I'm sure there will be several recipes this month in preparation for and from our different family celebrations.  
It's not too early to think pie!  But, this is a different kind of pie--it's a great way to use your turkey leftovers. 
Chicken Pot Pie (Creamy)
Double crust
2 chicken breasts, cooked and cut up (or turkey leftovers)
2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
1/2 cup carrots, cut up
1/2 cup peas
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup sour cream
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Boil the potatoes and carrots until tender. Drain water. Heat together the soup, sour cream, and cheese until the cheese is melted. Stir all the fillings together. Pour into pie crust, cover with second crust, crimp edges. Cook at 400° or 425° for 30 to 35 minutes or until the crust is brown and looks done. 

The ingredients are approximate and can be changed as you desire. Add broccoli, mushrooms, cauliflower, zucchini, or other firm vegetables. You can use turkey instead of chicken.
Tiffany's Notes: I got this recipe from a friend in my ward.  She taught a great cooking class at a Relief Society meeting (many years ago) and this was one of the recipes.  It's been one of my favorites ever since.  

She originally made it with an oil pastry crust (a pie crust with oil instead of a solid fat--it was new to me).  I've made that recipe many times, but usually do it with my favorite Never Fail Pie Crust.  That's a traditional recipe made many times over the years that I got from my mother.  I'll post the recipes in separate posts.  

I usually make this in a deep dish or casserole pan and increase the vegetables.  It's a great basic recipe to start from and tweak to add what you like.  It would also be easy to use a ready made pie crust or substitute a bag of frozen mixed vegetables for the suggested vegetables.

Comments

  1. I hope some suggestions will be included about how to make good pie crust! For some reason bread is not that scary for me, but I struggle with pie crust. Maybe it's just that I make bread all the time and my waist can't afford to eat pie as often as I eat bread!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you posted this! I have had this on my menu for weeks, but I have not found a great recipe. I think I will be trying yours now. thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment