Cream Cheese Frosting

It's not fair to post a carrot cake recipe without a cream cheese frosting recipe!  Well, how about two?

Cream Cheese Frosting
Cream together:
1 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese
¼ cup margarine or butter
2½ cups powdered sugar
1 Tb. hot water or milk, if needed
½ tsp. lemon extract, optional
1 tsp. vanilla

or you can try...


Cream Cheese Icing (Wilton)

½ cup butter, softened
1 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese, softened
4 cups powdered sugar (about 1 lb.)
1 Tb. milk
½ Tb. orange juice, optional
½ tsp. orange zest, optional

Cream butter and cream cheese together until smooth. Add sugar, milk, and flavorings. Mix well until smooth. Thin to ice cake or use without thinning for piping decorations. You can tint this frosting for decorating cakes. This doesn’t work as well with light cream cheese or butter substitutes. Makes about 3 cups of frosting.

Tiffany's note: I've used a variation of the first recipe almost exclusively.  I do usually increase the powdered sugar.  It still works well and tastes fine with a greater amount of powdered sugar--even 4 to 5 cups.  I know that's quite a big change!  I guess I'm too practical and want to get more frosting out of my block of cream cheese. 

Comments

  1. I find that I also have to increase the powdered sugar in the first recipe. Two and a half cups isn't enough to make it hold together.

    I've tried store brands of cream cheese and find that they are usually too soft and have a bit of an off taste so I usually end up using Philadelphia brand and buy a number of bars when it's on sale since it lasts a long time in the fridge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always increase my powdered sugar to almost 5 cups! Maybe we should just change the recipe, although the original would be perfect for cinnamon rolls.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment